Recent deaths of people who don't need their own threads

Just behind the Wendigo cow shed, there's an olde gossip mill, which has been churning out celebrity tittle tattle since Moses was a lad.

Recent deaths of people who don't need their own threads

Postby Butterfield on Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:34 pm

This thread is dedicated to people who have died who are perhaps not famous enough to warrant their own thread but interesting enough to announce their death.

Feel free to make any of these into threads if they are of particular interest to you.

Woman who inspired Miss Moneypenny dies aged 88

The secret service secretary who partly inspired Miss Moneypenny in Ian Fleming's James Bond novels has died aged 88.

Dame Victoire 'Paddy' Risdale, who was colleagues with Fleming at the Naval Intelligence Department during WWII was once described as a formidable woman.

She was the inspiration for Miss Moneypenny's tougher side, it has been claimed.

Fleming, like Bond, would go off and 'do something brave' and bring her back silk stockings and lipsticks, she told People magazine once. Unlike the James Bond movies, however, Dame Paddy said it was she who kept him at arm's length.

She has always denied having any feelings towards Fleming, and said she was 'never taken in by his charm'.
However, it is likely that Fleming had other women in mind as well when moulding what he called his 'second favourite creation'.

Another possible inspiration for the character is Vera Atkins, who was principal assistant to the head of a special operations executive.She recruited and trained many operatives to perform various clandestine operations.

Other possibilities include Margaret Priestley who helped run a commando assault unit, or on Joan Astley, whom Fleming dated during the war.
In 2005, the first of three novels entitled The Moneypenny Diaries came out, a trilogy from the point of view of Miss Moneypenny sanctioned by Ian Fleming Publications.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1237114/Woman-inspired-Miss-Moneypenny-dies-aged-88.html

Roy E Disney

Roy E Disney, who died on December 16 aged 79, was the son and nephew of the brothers who founded the Walt Disney empire; like his famous uncle Walt, he worked on the creative side of the business, rather than following his father, Roy O Disney, a hard-headed entrepreneur on the finance side.

The younger Roy Disney sought to protect and revitalise the company’s tradition of making the full-length animated feature films that defined the Disney brand for millions of cinemagoers. In the 1990s, as head of the animation department, he presided over several popular and critically-acclaimed projects, including Beauty and the Beast (1991), Aladdin (1992) and Fantasia 2000 (1999), a sequel to the 1940 animated classic Fantasia produced by Walt.

The releases came following his successful campaign, in 1984, to topple Walt Disney’s son-in-law, Ron Miller, after concluding that Miller was leading the company in the wrong direction by running down its feature animation film business. Some in the company likened Disney to a real-life Jiminy Cricket, the brand’s inner conscience who was often shunned by company placemen for speaking his mind.

Nearly 20 years later, he launched another successful revolt, this time against Michael Eisner, the man he had helped bring in to replace Miller.

Roy Disney grew up in the 1930s and 1940s as the company flourished. His uncle Walt and his father had co-founded the Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio in 1923, later renaming it The Walt Disney Company.

In 1928 the company introduced its most famous cartoon character, Mickey Mouse.

Walt and Roy senior often fell out over money, control, and the direction the company was taking. The younger Roy Disney recalled that he always knew when Walt and his father had been fighting because he could hear the car door slam when his father came home.

The animus between the brothers reached a bitter high in 1961 as they bickered over Walt’s new contract, the tension exacerbated by the rivalry between Disney junior and Walt’s strapping son-in-law, Ron Miller, a former professional with the American football team the Los Angeles Rams. Walt had taken Miller on after he had sustained an injury on the pitch, installing him as company president and chief executive officer.

In 1984, dissatisfied with the leadership Miller was providing, Disney resigned from the company’s board of directors and persuaded investors to back a bid to install new management. His efforts resulted in the hiring of Eisner and Frank Wells, who led the company as a team until Wells died in 1994.

During that time, Disney rejoined the board and rose to become the company’s vice-chairman and chairman of its animation division, where he helped oversee the making of such hit films as The Lion King (1994).

Despite his heritage, the shy, softly-spoken but tough-minded Roy Disney never had the chance to lead the company as his father and uncle had. But as a canny investor whose Disney shares grew into a billion-dollar fortune, he ultimately had a huge impact on the company’s destiny.

Roy Edward Disney was born in Los Angeles on January 10 1930, the only child of Roy and Edna Disney. As a child, Roy remembered his uncle Walt visiting him when he was bedridden with chickenpox, sitting on the edge of the bed and telling him the story of Pinocchio, which in 1940 became his latest film project. “He scared me to death with the stuff about the whale and everything else,” Roy once recalled. “When the movie came out, it was a big let-down for me. It was nowhere near as good as Walt’s version.”

At the studios, his uncle would sometimes break off to read stories to him. Meanwhile, the animators “used to test stuff out on me,” Roy Disney remembered. “They’d say: 'Come on in and watch this and see if you think it’s funny’.”

As a grown man, Roy often wore a moustache, which gave him a striking resemblance to his celebrated uncle. After graduating from Pomona College in 1951, he briefly worked at NBC as an assistant editor on the Dragnet television series.

After joining the company he worked as an editor, screenwriter and producer on a series of live action short features, including The Living Desert and The Vanishing Prairie. Two of his short films were nominated for Academy Awards: Mysteries of the Deep (1959), which he wrote, was nominated as best live action short, and the 2003 film Destino, which he co-produced, was nominated as best animated short.

He also became a shrewd investor over the years, forming Shamrock Holdings with his friend and fellow Disney board member Stanley Gold in 1978. The fund runs Disney’s personal investments and grew to become a major property investor in California and Israel as well as in other entertainment and media companies.

In 2007 Forbes magazine ranked him as the 754th richest person in the world and estimated his fortune at $1.3 billion. He has not appeared on the list since.

After years of dissatisfaction with Eisner’s leadership and the company’s sluggish share price, Disney and Gold resigned their board seats in 2003 and launched a shareholder revolt.

In his resignation letter Disney called for Eisner’s removal, complaining that on his watch the company’s standards had declined, particularly at theme parks like Disneyland in California and Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

“The Walt Disney Company deserves fresh, energetic leadership at this challenging time in its history just as it did in 1984 when I headed a restructuring which resulted in your recruitment to the company,” Disney wrote to Eisner.

Initially rebuffed, Disney rallied small investors and enthusiasts who responded to his homespun complaints about peeling paint at the theme parks and his anger at being told he would have to leave the board because he was too old.

“One of the reasons for my leaving, other than the fact that they fired me, was that I saw that quality slipping away from us,” Disney told a meeting of memorabilia collectors in 2004.

Disney gradually built support for his cause, and at the company’s annual shareholders’ meeting later that year he received a standing ovation. Shareholders eventually delivered an unprecedented rebuke to Eisner, withholding 45 per cent of votes cast for his re-election to the board.

The chief executive was later stripped of his role as board chairman and announced his retirement in 2005, a year before his contract expired.

Disney initially opposed Eisner’s successor, Robert Iger, but later changed his mind — and in 2005 Iger named Disney a board member emeritus and welcomed him back to company events.

Away from his work, Disney was an active philanthropist, supporting the California Institute of the Arts, a school founded by his father and uncle.

In his spare time he bought a castle in Ireland as a holiday home and indulged his passion for yacht racing, setting several speed records. For years he was a fixture at the Transpacific Yacht Race between California and Hawaii, setting a course record in 1999 when he won the race at the helm of his 74ft sloop Pyewacket, named after the witch’s cat in the 1958 film Bell, Book and Candle.

In 1999 he matched a gift from the Walt Disney Company to establish an experimental theatre space, named after his parents, as part of the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles. In 2005 he pledged $10 million to establish the Roy and Patricia Disney Cancer Centre in the Los Angeles suburb of Burbank.

In January 2007, when he was 77, Roy Disney filed for divorce from Patricia, his wife of 52 years, citing irreconcilable differences.

Last year he married Leslie DeMeuse, a television documentary producer. Both women, and the four children of his first marriage — none of whom work at the studios — survive him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/film-obituaries/6835101/Roy-E-Disney.html
Butterfield

Highscores: 29

Re: Recent deaths of people who don't need their own threads

Postby Butterfield on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:27 pm

Another one of the Carry On stars has died. Marianne Stone was 87. But I'm not quite sure which one she is! Typing her name into Google images it comes up with the one from Carry On Screaming - even though according to my calculations this is Fenella Fielding. :dunno2:

Butterfield

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:32 pm

Yes, that's definitely Fenella Fielding.

This is the only decent photo I can find of Marianne Stone. Apparently, she played Peg in Carry On Jack. Sadly, I don't have a clue who Peg was. :(

Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Highscores: 12

Postby Ray_Finkle on Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:28 pm

Ray_Finkle

Highscores: 39

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:48 pm

That's a shame. I admit I've never heard of him but if he gave us the voice of Top Cat then he was indeed a good man. Did he do the voices of Benny the Ball and Officer Dibble as well?
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Postby Butterfield on Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:28 am

Oh my goodness - just looking through the recent deaths page on Wikipedia, in the list of people who died yesterday is George Michael!

But it turns out he was aged 70 and was an American sportscaster and disc jockey.
Butterfield

Postby Butterfield on Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:27 pm

According to the recent deaths page on Wikipedia, nobody of note has died so far this year - well, perhaps not to us on THOTW anyway.

However, I found this one quite interesting, the death of American socialite Casey Johnson, aged 30. I don't think we in the UK will know of her but she was the great-great-granddaughter of Robert Wood Johnson I, co-founder of Johnson & Johnson. She was a lesbian and recently announced that she was engaged to Singapore-born singer, model, and television personality Tila Tequila.

From Wikipedia:
On January 4, 2010, Johnson was found dead in her Los Angeles home. The cause of death is yet to be determined (pending coroner's toxicology report), however authorities reported "no evidence of foul play" and that she might have been dead a few days. Tequila said Johnson had not answered her phone since December 29, 2009. Tequila later posted to her Twitter that Johnson was not dead, but in a coma. Later she backtracked stating that Johnson was, in fact, dead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Johnson
Butterfield

Postby Butterfield on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:50 pm

Wow, lived to 104 then got hit by a truck. :shifty:

'World's strongest man', 104, run over and killed by van

A 104-year-old once known as "the strongest man in the world" and who could still bend coins with his fingers has been hit and killed by a van.

Joe Rollino was struck as he crossed a major street in Brooklyn, and suffered a broken pelvis, head trauma and broken ribs.

Police said the driver was going the speed limit and had not been drinking, and no major crime is suspected - though he has been summonsed for having a defective horn.

Rollino hobnobbed with Harry Houdini, watched Jack Dempsey knock out Jess Willard, was friendly with crooner Mario Lanza and even had a bit-part in the Marlon Brando movie On the Waterfront.

Rollino would have been 105 on March 19, but was the model of health, according to friends.

A vegetarian for life, he did not drink or smoke, and still exercised every day.

He was a lifetime boxer and was part of the Oldetime Barbell and Strongmen, an organisation of men who can rip book-binders at the seam.

Retired New York Police Department detective Arthur Perry met Rollino at his birthday party in 2008 and did not believe he was the guest of honour - he looked too good for a centenarian.

"It was astonishing, how he was smiled upon by nature," Perry said.

"If you would've said to me he was 80, I'd have said he looked younger."

A decorated Second World War veteran, Rollino got his start as a strongman in the 1920s during the high point of the Coney Island carnival, where he billed himself as the "Strongest Man in the World".

He once lifted 3,200lb (1,452kg) and later made a living as a travelling boxer under the name Kid Dundee.

Rollino said in 2008 that he was simply born strong.

"Fighters would hit me in the jaw and I'd just look at them. You couldn't knock me out," he told writer Robert Mladinich in an interview for the boxing website The Sweet Science.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/world/808663-worlds-strongest-man-104-run-over-and-killed-by-van
Butterfield

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Fair play to him, he had a good innings.

Though, if he really were the world's strongest man, I'd've thought it'd be the truck they'd have ended up burying.
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Postby Butterfield on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:06 pm

^^

+1
Butterfield

Postby Butterfield on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:51 pm

According to Wikipedia deaths, James Cairncross, a Doctor Who actor, has died aged 94.

He doesn't even have his own Wikipedia page so he can't have been all that famous.
Butterfield

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:59 pm

IMDB is similarly sketchy but it does say he was in a 1960s' Dr Who story called The Krotons which, despite the title, didn't involve the Dr fighting bits of bread but, I believe, may have involved robots.
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Postby FanGirl3 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:20 pm

They weren't robots exactly, but crystalline lifeforms. The Doctor defeated them, not by dipping them in hot soup, but by having sulphuric acid poured into their tank thing.

Cairncross played Beta, a scientist - a dangerous thing to be on their planet because the Krotons discouraged any form of learning that didn't involve their 'teaching machines'.
Even me?
FanGirl3
..milady

Postby Butterfield on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:50 pm

^^

And from that, I now know why FanBoy joined this forum. :tongue:
Butterfield

Postby Butterfield on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:25 pm

Soul singer Teddy Pendergrass dies

Soul singer Teddy Pendergrass has died aged 59, his son has confirmed.

The star passed away at Bryn Mawr Hospital in Philadelphia on Wednesday (January 13), following a battle with colon cancer.

His first success was as singer with Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, though Pendergrass went solo in 1976. Among his biggest hits were 'If You Don't Know Me By Now' (with Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes), 'Close The Door' and 'I Don't Love You Anymore'. He also famously guested on Whitney Houston's massive-selling 1985 eponymous debut, singing a duet with her on 'Hold Me'.

A car crash in 1982 left the singer paralysed from the waist down, and as a result he didn't tour again until 2001 (though he did carry on releasing albums).

Speaking after his death, Pendergrass' son Teddy Pendergrass II paid tribute to his fans telling BBC News: "To all his fans who loved his music, thank you", adding that his father "will live on through his music".

Pendergrass is survived by his wife, his son, two daughters, his mother and nine grandchildren.

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/49225
Butterfield

Postby Ray_Finkle on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:50 pm

^^ Was just about to post that, he was alright was Teddy :(
Ray_Finkle

Highscores: 39

Postby Butterfield on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:54 pm

I considered creating his own thread but I didn't think anyone would know of him in the UK as he wasn't successful here as a solo artist. I think I only know "If You Don't Know Me By Now", and that's only really because of the Simply Red version. :shifty:

Oh, and "The Love I Lost" made famous by, erm, Sybil in 1993. :grin:
Last edited by Butterfield on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Butterfield

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:59 pm

For some reason, I always thought he was called Teddy Pendegrast.
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Next

Return to The Gossip Mill