Vera Lynn, 92, becomes oldest living act to TOP ALBUM CHART!

Vera Lynn, 92, becomes oldest living act to TOP ALBUM CHART!

Postby Butterfield on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:01 pm

92-year-old former Forces' Sweetheart Vera Lynn's new best of compilation We'll Meet Again has this week shot up the album charts from number 20 to number 2, being kept off number 1 by the Artctic Monkeys new album. She is the oldest ever living act to be in the charts. But will you be buying it?

http://www.ilikemusic.com/music_news/Dame_Vera_Lynn_Oldest_Star_To_Chart-7741
Last edited by Butterfield on Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Butterfield

Highscores: 29

Re: Vera Lynn, 92, becomes oldest ever living act in album chart

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:14 pm

Well done to Vera. I happen to know she's a regular visitor to this forum and I always knew she'd turn out to have more staying power than Gracie Fields. I wonder who the 2nd oldest person ever to enter the album chart is? I like to think it's Iggy Pop. He's got to be nearly as old as Vera, doesn't he?
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Highscores: 12

Postby Ray_Finkle on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:48 pm

I think Iggy Pop has the same birthdate as Vera but was born just over 4 minutes later, which must bring him in a very close 2nd.
Ray_Finkle

Highscores: 39

Postby Butterfield on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:52 pm

Wasn't Iggy Pop married to Vera Lynn sometime around 1940? I'm sure that's what I heard. While she was entertaining the troops he was dishing out the meals for them.

Call_of_the_Wendigo wrote:Well done to Vera. I happen to know she's a regular visitor to this forum and I always knew she'd turn out to have more staying power than Gracie Fields.

Hello Ms. Lynn if you're reading this. :wave2:

Isn't it weird that Gracie Fields' real name was [something] Stansfield, and she was born in Rochdale, the same town that Lisa was from? There's also a Stansfield Hospital or something in nearby Todmorden so a family friend once told me. :eyecrazy:
Butterfield

Re: Vera Lynn, 92, becomes oldest living act to TOP ALBUM CHART!

Postby Butterfield on Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:53 pm

She's only gone and done it!!!! :banana:

Dame Vera Lynn tops album chart

Forces sweetheart Dame Vera Lynn has become the oldest living artist to top the UK album chart and for the first time, her record company has said.

The 92-year-old, who told BBC News she was "surprised" at going to number one, knocked last week's chart toppers Arctic Monkeys, into fourth place.

She has achieved her success with her album, We'll Meet Again - The Very Best of Vera Lynn.

----------

Lynn, who kept up the spirits of millions of soldiers during World War II, first re-entered the charts at the end of August.

She held off competition from Jamie T's latest album, Kings and Queens, which reached number two.

The veteran singer said she would "never have dreamt" that the album would have charted again - let alone go to number one.

"But there you go, you never know what's round the corner do you?" she said.

Lynn revealed she was out in France celebrating with her daughter, who was "more excited" about the news than she was.

Despite finding fame for a second time, Lynn insisted her singing days are "well behind her" and she has no plans to start recording again.

The album was originally released to coincide with the 70th anniversary of the declaration of war.

Four Beatles albums appear in the top 10, after the re-mastered full collection of their music hit shops during the week.

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band reached the highest position at number five, followed by Abbey Road at six, Revolver in ninth place and Rubber Soul at 10.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8253410.stm
Butterfield

Postby Ray_Finkle on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:24 am

Well done our Vera :applause: :happy: :banana:
Ray_Finkle

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:08 am

Well done, Vera. I knew you had it in you.

I have to say she doesn't look 92.
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:11 am

My God, there's no stopping the woman:

Dame Vera Lynn is to take on this year's X Factor winner in a bid to grab the Christmas No 1.

The "Forces' Sweetheart" is to release a revamped version of well-loved song We'll Meet Again, along with a recording of White Christmas to take on the reality show victor head to head.

The 92-year-old star, who kept up the nation's spirits during the Second World War, has already made an incredible chart comeback this year.

She recently became the oldest artist to reach the top of the album chart with her greatest hits collection, We'll Meet Again: The Very Best Of Vera Lynn.

Her new version of We'll Meet Again sees her backed by label-mates, the 60-piece Fron Male Voice Choir who perform along with her original vocal. She was just 22 when she recorded the original in 1939, but cutting-edge studio techniques - previously used in movies - allow her voice to be isolated to perform with the choir.

Dame Vera said: "I'm amazed this is possible. It's wonderful."

The X Factor winner will release their single on the same day as Dame Vera's, on December 14, and will form formidable competition.

X Factor stars have dominated the festive chart for several years and often become the year's biggest seller with only one week's sales.

The reality show winner has topped the charts for the past four years at Christmas with Shayne Ward, Leona Lewis, Leon Jackson and Alexandra Burke each taking their turn.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20091106/ten-dame-vera-takes-on-x-factor-winner-5f8abb3.html
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Postby Ray_Finkle on Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:55 pm

You go Vera :box:
Ray_Finkle

Postby Butterfield on Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:12 pm

A 21ish-year-old guy was just asked this question on that poor quality quiz show with Dale Winton:

Dale: "Which 92-year-old female singer reached number one last year in the UK album charts"

Chav: "Errrrrm......... Tina Turner?"

Audience: " :hahano: "

Dale: "If it's there I'll give you the money meself" or words to that effect, like that of Les Dennis.

Computer: "VERA LYNN"

Chav: "I've never 'eard of 'er!

Dale: "She was the forces' sweetheart"

Chav: "Well I listen to Dizzee Rascal"

:monstermash:
Butterfield

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:15 pm

That's ridiculous.

Everyone knows Tina Turner's 97.
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Postby Butterfield on Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:41 pm

Vera Lynn is back with a hot new album! :excited: Now aged 97! :gasp: I'm sure she's in the studio as we speak doing the final mixing of the album.

Dame Vera Lynn, 97, to release new album

On the day she turns 97, Dame Vera Lynn has announced plans for a new album.

She is best known for songs including We'll Meet Again and The White Cliffs Of Dover, which buoyed the spirits of millions during World War Two.

Both songs will feature alongside a selection of previously unreleased recordings on Vera Lynn: National Treasure - The Ultimate Collection.

It will be released on 2 June, to mark the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings, which occurs four days later.

"I think it's wonderful that my songs are still enjoyed, especially if it encourages people to commemorate what happened 70 years ago," said Dame Vera in a statement.

"It's moving for me to relive those days, and humbling to know that people still think of me. After all, it was simply my duty to keep singing."

The collection will bring together more than 40 recordings, some of which were only previously available on 78rpm vinyl.

Record label Decca said the music had been remastered "from the best available recordings", with many tracks transferred "from the original un-played source".

Her previous greatest hits collection, We'll Meet Again, topped the UK album chart in September 2009, making Dame Vera - then 92 - the oldest living artist to score a number one record.

"It was a shock," she told the BBC at the time. "I didn't think I'd still be around, never mind have another number one hit."

The following year, she released an album of new material - featuring several songs that had been left on the shelf for 60 years on unmarked discs.

More unreleased material will feature as bonus tracks on the new collection, after being uncovered by her daughter Virginia.

However, the singer has insisted her singing days are "well behind her".

2014 also marks Dame Vera's 90th year in showbusiness, after her making her stage debut at the age of seven.

During the war, she was heard over the airwaves by millions and, although no official figures exist for great swathes of her career, it is estimated she sold just as many records.

According to a recent book, she would have notched up dozens of number one singles before the Official Chart launched in 1952.

The Missing Charts, compiled by the late Colin Brown, examined sales figures from music publishers and record companies to provide detailed listings of the most popular records from 1940 onwards.

His research suggested the very first number one would have been Dame Vera's We'll Meet Again.

When the NME published its first chart in November 1952, she had three entries in the top 10, while US crooner Al Martino held the top spot with Here In My Heart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26653003

2014 also marks Dame Vera's 90th year in showbusiness

:gasp:
Butterfield

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:58 pm

I know a song about Vera Lynn:

And the question in the song has been answered by this very thread.
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:58 pm

It's amazing to think she was only 62 when that record came out and yet they were talking like she was ancient history.
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Postby Butterfield on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:04 pm

Here's another song about Vera Lynn:

Butterfield

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:59 pm

She's doing it again. Dame Vera Lynn - or V-Ly, as she demands to be known - is set to crash into next week's album chart, at the age of 97.

Dame Vera Lynn is on course to make the top 20 at the age of 97 - extending her lead as the oldest living artist to figure so high up in the album chart.

The Forces' Sweetheart released Vera Lynn: National Treasure - The Ultimate Collection this week and if early strong sales continue throughout the week she could even make the top 10.

Her last major chart feat was five years ago when she achieved a number one with an earlier best-of release.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/dame-vera-set-charts-97-140252237.html#49LFsF7
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Postby Butterfield on Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:25 pm

Only Top 20 and not number one like her last album?! Her career must be in decline!
Butterfield

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:12 am

Vera Lynn's going to celebrate her 100th birthday in March by releasing a new album. :box:

Dame Vera - 100 in March - currently holds the record for being the oldest living artist to get a top 20 UK album.

Vera Lynn 100 comes out on 17 March, three days before her birthday.

Some of her best-known songs have been re-orchestrated for the album, which features her original vocals.

Dame Vera said: "It's truly humbling that people still enjoy these songs from so many years ago, reliving the emotions of that time - I was after all just doing my job as a singer - and it's so wonderful for me to hear my songs again so beautifully presented in a completely new way."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38829936
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Next

Return to The Music Room