Has anyone here read the Bible?

Forum rules

Has anyone here read the Bible?

Postby JackSwan on Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:19 am

A few weeks ago I undertook a mighty project: to read the Bible. :bookworm:

So I wouldn't tire of it too precipitously, I set myself a very modest target of completing a few chapters each day. I'm approaching the end of Deuteronomy. Now that I'm becoming increasingly familiar with the text and with references I was only vaguely aware of in the past, I was wondering if anyone here had also read the Bible and might be interested in discussing their observations/thoughts. I'm not religious and elected to read it purely for the cultural interest.

The Old Testament is certainly very staid in parts, but despite this I'm actually thoroughly enjoying it.
Up and at 'em!
JackSwan

Re: Has anyone here read the Bible?

Postby StevieBaby on Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:59 pm

Book of Ecclesiastes is great, really almost Buddist misery!

Almost anti-Jewish/Christian in it's tone.

Jesus speaks more sense in about 500 words in the sermon from the mount as the whole of the rest of the book put together, and the betray and nailing up is powerfully written. Rest of it don't float my boat.

Tried the Koran? It's like Leviticus... I really like the writing of Confucius, And I'd have loved to see how a western civiliastation based on the Meditation of Marcus Aurius would have turned out. As you do.
StevieBaby

Highscores: 1

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:48 pm

I tried reading the Bible once but found its lack of naturalistic dialogue somewhat off-putting.
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Highscores: 12

Postby Butterfield on Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:18 pm

^^

I think that's why the simple-text Good News Bible was created - for those of us who don't mind things that are a bit toned down. :|

I've read bits of The Bible and I know a lot of the stories from the various books we had as children/read at school.
Butterfield

Highscores: 31

Postby Medonymous on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:28 pm

For my literature course at uni I had to read Genesis.

I also have a bible written in the form of a novel, that means none of those silly numbers and no double column pages, but I've never got around to reading it. I also have a very old copy of the Bhagavad Gita that I bought from a charity shop.
Medonymous

Highscores: 18

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:40 pm

Did it have any pictures? I tried to read the Bible once but it didn't have any pictures, so I gave up on it.
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Postby Medonymous on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:18 pm

My story bible has colour illustrations. :happy:
Medonymous

Highscores: 18

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:54 pm

Does it have pictures of angels? The truth is, the only pictures I wanted to see were pictures of angels.
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Postby Beppo on Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:07 pm

I went to a religious primary school so I am familiar with the Bible, old and new testaments. Fascinating insight into the ancient world.
Beppo

Postby Nightjar on Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Tell me more.

Ah well-ah well-ah well-ah ooh!
Last edited by Nightjar on Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got a powder-keg leg and my wig's all pooped - for you
Nightjar
caprimulgus vociferus psychopompos

Postby Beppo on Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:24 pm

The Bible? How the ancient Jewish people saw their world, from their creation myths to their establishment of monotheism and their firm belief they were the 'chosen' people. They believed that their God would deliver them from slavery in ancient Egypt and many of the figures of the Old Testament illustrate tales of fidelity to the one true God.

The Jewish law for observance and behaviour was set down in Deuteronomy and Leviticus as well as beautiful mystical texts in some of the books.

The life and teachings of Jewish man Jesus of Nazareth is recorded in the New Testament which was seen by Christians as a fulfillment of the promises of the old testament prophets and a fulfillment of the Jewish belief in a saviour from the Romans.

Instead of delivering the Jewish people from subjection by the Romans, Jesus offered a spiritual freedom, his teachings eventually getting him into hot water with the Jewish leaders and the Roman establishment.

Jesus' crucifixion then becoming a central event and his alleged resurrection by the early Christians

40 or so years after Jesus' death a strict Pharisee named Saul had a mystical vision of Jesus, whom he never met unlike the other disciples and subsequently established Christianity travelling across Greece and the ancient world, fusing Greek mysticsm with the belief that Jesus was the son of the Jewish God and becoming Paul.

I'm not too keen on John and the book of Revelations though, it being antisemitic and very extreme. :hypno:

D
Last edited by Beppo on Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beppo

Return to The Reading Room