Marvel Comic
50%
(Call_of_the_Wendigo, Festin)
D. C. Thomson & Co.
No votes
I have no strong opinion either way
50%
(Butterfield, StevieBaby)
I don't know, but I can't wait to learn to read everything made by each company before I make my decision.
No votes
I love them both, don't make me choose!
No votes
I hate them both, don't make me choose!
No votes

Total votes : 4

DC Comics or Marvel? Which is better?

Postby StevieBaby on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:58 pm

Well? :popcorn:
StevieBaby

Highscores: 1

Re: DC Comics or Marvel? Which is better?

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:50 pm

Marvel. Marvel have zillions of classic heroes. DC have two - and those two aren't any good anyway. :box:
Last edited by Call_of_the_Wendigo on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Highscores: 12

Postby StevieBaby on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:15 pm

Wonderwoman was alright.

On the telly anyway..
StevieBaby

Postby FanGirl3 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:22 pm

I don't read those kind of comics so instead I'll compare the DC Heroes 80s RPG rules with the Marvel Superheroes ditto.

DC Heroes was more at the 'Champions' end of the spectrum, the rules were quite technical and the magnitude of the powers covered was greater - indeed the power levels were exponential, so IIRC Strength 2 was normal human strength, 3 was twice as strong, 4 four times, 5 8 times, etc - thus enabling them to put numbers on Superman's powers.

Marvel Superheroes was more at the 'Golden Heroes' end of the spectrum, a much friendlier system more aimed at first-time role-players. The power levels IIRC went up in steps of 10 and each had names, so Captain Britain had INCREDIBLE (40) Fighting skill, REMARKABLE (30) Agility etc.
Even me?
FanGirl3
..milady

Postby StevieBaby on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:01 pm

Golden Heroes was better than both.

:colbert:
StevieBaby

Postby FanGirl3 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:06 pm

No way. Champions was better than all three of them.
Even me?
FanGirl3
..milady

Postby StevieBaby on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:15 pm

Yes way!

:colberta:
StevieBaby

Postby FanGirl3 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:29 pm

Fangirl3 has INCREDIBLE (40) Arguing Power!
Even me?
FanGirl3
..milady

Postby StevieBaby on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:40 pm

Let's not get into this, I think we all remember the arguments over which version of Runequest was the definitive version..

:sissyfight:
StevieBaby

Postby Festin on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:38 pm

I would like to recommend the new the show, The Legend of Tomorrow.
Together with The Flash and The Arrow you basically have 3 hours of DC shows/week. Real nice tbh
Festin

Highscores: 10

Postby Nightjar on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:12 pm

I'm considering selling my collection of Jack Kirby comics (Marvel and DC).

Does anyone have any ideas about the best way to go about it? :dunno:

I'm looking at online prices (ebay mainly) and the prices seem to fluctuate quite markedly.

I was particularly struck by how much people were trying to flog their original 4th World DC titles (of which I have every issue: New Gods, Mr. Miracle, Jimmy Olsen and The Demon).
I've got a powder-keg leg and my wig's all pooped - for you
Nightjar
caprimulgus vociferus psychopompos

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:52 pm

You can sneakily use Newkadia's site to find out what the price guide value of your comics is. Generally, you'll get half of that price in the real world. For instance: http://www.newkadia.com/?Mister_Miracle_Comic-Books=2552

They also have a grading guide - http://www.newkadia.com/Grading_Chart.php?q=DEH-1149272 - which is somewhat generous. Generally, a comic's grade is no higher than its worst fault. So the comic listed there should be no more than Fine at best, even though they've graded it Very Fine. If you can't be bothered to accurately grade each comic, just list it as being either, "High Grade," Mid Grade," or, "Low Grade," depending on which it is and include good quality scans or photos of the front and back covers and a couple of interior pages to give buyers a good idea of the book's condition.
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Highscores: 12

Postby Butterfield on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:52 pm

:sly:

...a Marvel artist has created a character named 'Wolverhampton', who appeared in a Marvel mind-swap comic as a cross between Wolverine and Spider Gwen.

----------

Spider-Gwen, a character invented in 2015 in a world where Gwen Stacy was bitten by a radioactive spider instead of Peter Parker, asks Wolverhampton if he is Spider-Ham when she first sees him, to which he replies: “No.

“My name is Wolverhampton.” :box:

Their conversation continues with Gwen asking him ‘huh?’ to which he replies: “It’s a city in England.”

Gwen then tells him she knows that but asks why that is his name, to which he replies: “I’m assuming it’s the only ‘Wolverine and pig’ portmanteau your subconscious could come up with on short notice.”

----------

Speaking on how the character came about, Tom [Taylor, Marvel artist], who is also a number one New York Times best selling author and the co-creator of popular children’s TV series The Deep, said he had Wolverhampton in mind because he was aware of Wolverhampton Wanderers from watching football on television.

----------

Tom puts his choice of name for the character down to watching ‘a bunch’ of Wolves games over the years. He said: “I’ve never visited, but I’d love to get to the UK.

----------

“I’d definitely heard of Wolverhampton, being a football fan. I’ve watched a bunch of their games over the years. It is because of football that I probably thought of it so quickly.” And what does the future hold for our Black Country hero?

Tom said: “I think there’s something instantly funny and likeable about Wolverhampton – and hopefully someone will bring him back one day.”

Edited highlights from this article: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/featured-articles/2017/11/25/meet-the-new-superhero-wolverhampton---find-out-more-on-the-citys-bizarre-place-in-marvel-comics-universe/
Last edited by Butterfield on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Butterfield

Highscores: 29

Return to The Reading Room