Have you ever completed a game of Monopoly?

Toys, games and other childhood pursuits.

Have you?

Yes I have.
50%
(DaiB, FanGirl3, flibbington, Nightjar, The_Captain, yousername)
No I haven't.
16%
(Butterfield, Call_of_the_Wendigo)
I can't remember.
8%
(Ray_Finkle)
I don't like to talk about it.
8%
(StevieBaby)
I've never played Monopoly.
16%
(Danny_Parker, SausageAmbassador)

Total votes : 12

Re: Have you ever completed a game of Monopoly?

Postby Ray_Finkle on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:33 pm

:gasp:

Board Goes Round In Monopoly Revolution

The classic family game Monopoly has undergone a revolution with the introduction of a round board.

The new version has also revised its famously low property prices to reflect modern mores, with values rising 10,000-fold.

In older editions you could snap up desirable Mayfair for a bargain £400, but its new price is a hefty £4m.

Kings Cross Station has been upped from £200 to £2m, while Old Kent Road remains the cheapest deal at £600,000, instead of £60.

The edition, Monopoly Revolution, is being released to mark the game's 75th birthday.

In another futuristic twist, players will keep track of the millions changing hands with a game-pod device that serves as banker, die and music player.

Designed by Charles Darrow, Monopoly first hit the shelves in 1935 and has since been played by an estimated one billion people.

Its rules have remained virtually unchanged despite a series of packaging revisions and special editions covering everything from movies to Manchester United.

Craig Wilkins, senior brand manager at the game's manufacturers Hasbro, said: "Monopoly is as popular today as it ever has been and friends and families still love to play the board game together.

"Negotiating and dealing in a bid to become Monopoly millionaires are important key skills as the game continues to be the world's favourite family game brand."

Monopoly Revolution will go on sale in the autumn, in time for Christmas.
Ray_Finkle

Highscores: 39

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:38 pm

It all looks a bit fancy to me. I've always felt that being somewhat anachronistic and divorced from the financial realities of life is what gives Monopoly its charm.
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Highscores: 12

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:00 pm

84 year old bloke creates gold-plated Monopoly set worth $2m.

Each of the game's tokens, hotels, and houses are solid gold, and many of the pieces are encrusted with fine jewels by master jeweler and artist Sidney Mobell who created the set.

"The board is made in 23 carat gold plate, and all the little houses and hotels are 18 carat solid gold. On the chimneys of houses are genuine rubies, on the chimneys of the hotels are genuine sapphires. If you take a look the dice are 18 carat solid gold and there are diamonds embedded in each one of the numbers. The little thimble, the race car, all the little tokens are 18 carat solid gold," said Mobell. "It took a year to make from start to finish. Actually, it isn't just a set, it's a piece of art. This is why it's here in the museum. It's a piece of art," added the 84 year old artist.

It is believed to be the most expensive Monopoly game on the planet. Mobell said the game has an estimated value of $2 million, but added the precious game is priceless.

"I would say right now, if I still owned the set, and I didn't donate it to the Smithsonian, I would turn down 100 million dollars. If someone offered, I'd say forget it. It wouldn't be for sale," said Mobell.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20101016/toddly-monopoly-goes-bling-cc3a409.html
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Postby Nightjar on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:26 am

I notice that only the intellectual members of HotW have completed a game of Monop.
I've got a powder-keg leg and my wig's all pooped - for you
Nightjar
caprimulgus vociferus psychopompos

Postby flibbington on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:13 am

Nightjar wrote:I notice that only the intellectual members of HotW have completed a game of Monop.

Yes I is intelligentsia!

I used to love playing this the little capitalist that I was. Whole rainy Sundays set aside where I tried to make everyone bankrupt and get my hands on their lovely money.

Also liked the game of Life, but cant really remember much about it. Is that the one where you had the car and added children to it as you went?

Also really liked Poleconomy which was a local game from the 80's. In fact I loved it, you held elections, you could run the treasury, you could own real companies like Air New Zealandland, Hertz Rent a car, The New Zealandland Times.
Last edited by flibbington on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brought to you by Nana Mouskouri
flibbington

Highscores: 1

Postby yousername on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:56 pm

I love Monopoly!
yousername

Highscores: 1

Postby FanGirl3 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:21 pm

flibbington wrote:Also really liked Poleconomy which was a local game from the 80's. In fact I loved it, you held elections, you could run the treasury, you could own real companies like Air New Zealandland, Hertz Rent a car, The New Zealandland Times

Ooh, my diary records that my friend was given that for Christmas 1983, and I went round on December 29th to play it against him. I left with me winning, and the game unfinished, but the FanGirl Diaries do not record the final outcome.

:and:
Even me?
FanGirl3
..milady

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:35 am

They've introduced three new Monopoly pieces and got rid of three of the old ones. :dontpanic:

The boot, wheelbarrow and thimble have all been retired in the latest version of Monopoly.

The classic pieces have been replaced by a Tyrannosaurus Rex, a penguin and a "rubber ducky".

It follows a public vote over which tokens to save, as part of the brand's "Monopoly Token Madness" campaign.

The original pieces have been a staple of Monopoly boards around the world since the game was launched in 1935.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39302661/new-playing-pieces-in-the-latest-version-of-monopoly
Last edited by Call_of_the_Wendigo on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:36 am

Thimbles are used to prevent pricking a thumb with a sharp needle while sewing.

What a strangely random explanation that seems to have been inserted into the article for no noticeable reason.
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:37 am

I demand that they explain what a boot and a wheelbarrow are too. :rant:
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Postby Call_of_the_Wendigo on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:38 am

What happened to the BBC's mission to inform and to educate? :rant:
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

:killcomputer:
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

:colbert:
Call_of_the_Wendigo
Testing

Postby Danny_Parker on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:15 pm

To best of my knowledge I've never actually played monopoly. Growing up we weren't really a board-game household.

I liked the look of the money but the daft little pieces spoilt it.
Escaped from the Sex Stable
Danny_Parker

Highscores: 11

Previous

Return to The Play Pen